"FUN" PANTRY - Fundamentals for Understanding Nutrition
at Schulze Academy for Arts & Technology
The F.U.N. Pantry teaches first grade students at Schulze Academy about nutrition, food safety and preparation, and where their food comes from through lessons about balanced diets, recipes, and PHC’s urban garden. Students get to take food home by shopping in the classroom’s choice pantry.
- Volunteers help facilitate lessons and activities. Volunteers who can regularly attend the four sessions for each class are preferred.
- The program consists of three different 1st grade classrooms, 60 students total, that meet four times during the school year. The three cycles for the 2017-2018 are as follows: Cycle 1 - 10/6, 10/20, 11/3, 11/17. Cycle 2 - 1/19, 2/2, 2/16, 3/2. Cycle 3 - 3/16, 3/23, 4/13, 4/20.
- Each session is from 10am - 12:30pm and is an extension of the students' lunch hour
Features of the program:
- Nutritional Model taught about the Food Plate and a Balanced Diet
- Farm-to-fork Education with Urban Farm at NWAC
- Grocery Shopping Experience in "Choice Pantry"
- Educational Lessons Incorporating Math, Science, Social Studies and Reading
- Kitchen and Food Safety Instruction